Frendo is a bespoke Soundiron instrument. We created this monster by pulling wire around steel plates and bolts, through galvanized steel pipes and wooden planks. He had to suffer. You can help by being terrible at using screwdrivers, bows, drumsticks, hammers, and fingers.
The instrument contains a vast array of otherworldly sounds, perfect for composers looking for new disturbing, horror-like textures for their scores. The Frendo is partly a hammer instrument, recorded with wooden and rubber mallets, but it is also a more traditional stringed instrument as we recorded finger clicks and bows. It is the sound of Satan’s cello quietly mourning your burning soul.
This 5 string son of a bitch made of gnarled pine, rusty steel wire, eyebolts, hooks, screws, hurricane brackets, and an old 24 ” kick drum that was 8 feet long and 3 feet wide. 6 spikes and two separate body segments that allow you to twist and bend the instrument as you play. It was tied with black iron wire wrapped around corners and galvanized steel plates, and through the large-diameter eyebolts we used as tuners using a pipe wrench.
We’ve provided a variety of customizable controls, presets, effects and instruments to give you complete sonic freedom and control over your audio. This library is itself a unique tuned percussion and string instrument, but it also provides great effects and sound design for stingers, trailers, shows, post-production, and any number of other specialized production applications.
• Two stereo microphone positions (heads – internal mics), (tail – external big hall mics)
• Wooden mallets: “tuned”, 3-4 velocity layers, 10x round-robin
• Rubber mallets: “tuned”, 5 velocity layers , 10x round-robin
• Finger plucks: “tuned”, 1-3 velocity layers, 6x round-robin
• Bowed FX: bow scrapes, staccato notes, 1-3 velocity layers, 6x – 9x round-robin
• Bowed high notes: stabs and sustains, 1-3 velocity layers, 4x round-robin
• Bowed low notes: stabs and sustains, tuned and un-tuned, 6x round-robin and looping “legato” patches
• Bowed tremolo: effects and sustains, with fast, medium and slow variations
• Screwdriver slides: long and short
• 3 large sound effects patches, including creaks, cracks, groans, tuning twangs and sproings.
• All recorded with natural acoustics in our tile, glass and stone hall or from inside the Frendo resonance chamber itself.
• Product Version 2.0
• 1.17 GB Installed
• 1,251 Samples
• 62 Kontakt 3.5 .nki instrument presets
• 16 bit / 44.1 kHz uncompressed PCM wav audio
• Unlocked Kontakt presets and wav samples to allow user customization
• Includes a bonus collection of custom sound -designed ambiences, drones and special FX presets, as well as our favorite custom convolution reverb impulses and an advanced Kontakt user interface with full automation support.